Wednesday, January 30, 2013

'starry christmas' quilt & a huge WIP

I started working on a Christmas / winter quilt in December, with high hopes that I would finish it before the end of 2012.  Well, that didn't happen, and here I am still working away on it.  I refuse to put it aside until next Christmas, since one of my New Year's resolutions was to finish everything I start before going on to a new project. 


I started with these fabrics from the Blitzen line by Basic Grey (for Moda).  I really like the combination of colors & patterns in this line.  I saw this quilt that Aneela had been working on and thought that these fabrics would look really neat in that pattern.  I followed Allison's tutorial on how to make the blocks.  I followed her tape trick, which was extremely handy & saved lots of time!


The blocks are 11".  I squared mine up to 10 3/4".  I made 48 blocks total.  Now, I just need to get them sewn together!  I plan on laying them out 6 blocks x 8 blocks, for a quilt top that finishes at 61.5" x 82".  Kind of random dimensions, but I guess that is what happens when you use a block that finishes at 10 1/4".  Hopefully by Friday I will be able to show you a finished quilt top.

There is another WIP that is going to be on my plate for awhile and that is this:


My husband and I bought a 1905 FoursquareIt is in great shape, it just needs a bit of updating.  This will be the only house we will ever own, so I can't wait to make it our own.  Although this is primarily a blog about quilting, I am sure I will share some of the remodeling on here.  I hope you don't mind. 

There is some very cool history behind this house, and so we have this image of the house, circa 1930:  


The wrap around porch and sleeping porch have been removed somewhere along the way, but I am really hoping I can talk the husband into putting a wrap around porch back on....

Stop back Friday & hopefully I will have a finished quilt top to show you!  I am also thinking about doing a small giveaway on Friday, if anyone is interested.  Hope to see you soon!

-V 

Linking up to:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

4 comments:

  1. I assume you will be using quilts in your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Blitzen line. It's kind of hard to work on holiday projects when it's not Christmastime, but that time of year is sooo busy. The past few years I've told myself I should make a Christmas quilt in July, but I haven't managed to do that yet!
    Congrats on the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Christmas blocks, I am sure your quilt will be amazing.
    You are so very lucky, to be able to have your own house...and it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a huge Christmas fabric fan, but I really like the color combinations in the line! You've done a fantastic job choosing an awesome block to showcase them!

    Congratulations on becoming a home-owner! Share with us and I'll be reading all about the redo!

    ReplyDelete