Wednesday, May 7, 2014

tensley's "baby" quilt :: finished

So, in other news, Tensley started preschool on April 7th.  She goes 2 days a week (Monday & Wednesday) from 8:15 – 12.  Easton naps 9 – 11 so I have been trying to catch up on my WIPs.  The first one I pulled out was Tensley’s “baby” quilt.  (Nevermind the fact that she turned 3 on April 13th.)  


I finished this quilt top in October of 2012.  You can click this link to go back and read more about making the quilt top, if you are so inclined.  I went with this brown / grey fabric for the back.  


I sent it out to Abby Latimer for long-arm quilting.  We decided on the Candyland quilting pattern & I really like it!  It is perfect for this quilt.  


I went back and forth on what to do for the binding.  It was between using the same fabric as the back, which would hide dirt, or doing the same cream fabric with green polka dots that I used as the background fabric.  Of course, the drawback of the cream was that it would be more difficult to keep clean, but ultimately I decided I wanted the binding to blend into the background.  I’m really happy with the result.  


 One more picture, just because....



With this quilt finished, Tensley now has 4 quilts, so I decided a quilt ladder was in order!  My local quilt shop has them for sale & so I picked one up the last time I was in.  I went with the unfinished pine because my plan was to paint it white.  However, now that it is in her bedroom, I am not so sure.  Perhaps staining it to match her woodwork would look nice.  Or maybe a darker grey color?  Her walls are Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams, which is a really lovely light gray that takes on different colors in different lights.  If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!  


Also, the "giveaway" will remain open through the month of May.  Click back to this post for the details & to enter, if you are interested!   Giveaway now closed.

Quilt Stats:
Fabric: 
Quilt top - It’s A Hoot by Momo for Moda and background fabric is cream with pale green polka dot by Robyn Pandolph              
Binding - same as background fabric 
Pattern: simple HST design
Dimensions: 48” x 56”
Started quilt top: September 24th, 2012
Finished quilt top: October 13th, 2012
Quilted by: Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting using the Candyland pantogram pattern  

Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

  1. What a sweet quilt! I would stain the quilt ladder to match the woodwork - it is beautiful BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty baby quilt and very nice quilting! I like as well the quilts displayed on the ladder, natural wood color is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's simply lovely- and the binding was the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is so pretty, I love HST blocks! As for the ladder...I think it would be striking if it matched the wood in her room. It's pretty as it is as well...good job! Four quilts for your child, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would stain the ladder to match the wood in her room. What a lucky girl to have so many quilts. I like the quilting and that subtle polka dot. I think my mom uses that back fabric in some color in every quilt she makes, it's her favorite. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, this is just lovely! I like the binding blending into the background. It almost makes the HST's "float." Personally, I would paint the ladder a couple of shades darker than the walls. I think it would make look pretty with the quilts without detracting from them!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the light binding. I just bound a quilt in cream to match the border. Sometimes light bindings are what the quilt wants. I would do the ladder a little different. White if you have white furniture or a little darker than the woodwork. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable quilt. great fabric choices. I am sure Tensley will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt and the binding is perfect. I love those quilt ladders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's always amazing how half square triangle quilts look so varied and wonderful. That small spot is just delightful too. I agree with several others that staining the ladder to match the woodwork would enhance the quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet and cheerful quilt. Lovely choice on the binding fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quilt-and how lucky are you to have that 2 hour window when the kids are asleep/gone to be able to work on your sewing! Love the ladder-stained the color of the woodwork would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is adorable - the colours are lovely. I think I would go with a darker grey just as a point of difference maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is WONDERFUL ! Such cute prints too

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's adorable! Doesn't it feel great to have it finished? Congrats on a beautiful finish, Valerie. Good call on the binding!

    ReplyDelete