Thursday, January 17, 2013

rainbow hexagon quilt : finished


I finished the rainbow hexagon quilt a week or so ago.  You can read more about piecing this quilt here and here.  It was quilted by my LQS.  


Kim made a template using the Hex-N-More ruler, so the quilting inside the hexagon would match exactly.  She quilted 1/4" from the seam around the inside of each hexagon shape, and then quilted on the lines she had marked from the hexagon template.  (I think the template was approximately a 3" hexagon.)  She used a medium grey thread that looks great with every color on the quilt.
 
I used Cuzco (by Kate Spain for Moda) on the back of the quilt, and I thought Indigo Sanctuary (the center, blue peacock) fabric was perfect for the binding.


I am very happy with the way this quilt turned out & it is now on display at my LQS!  

Quilt Stats:
 Fabric:  Quilt top - solid fabrics (mixture of Kona & Moda)
                Batting - Warm & Natural
                Backing - 5 prints from the Cuzco line (by Kate Spain for Moda)
                Binding - Indigo Sanctuary print from Cuzco
Pattern: used Hex-N-More ruler to make 6" half hexagons
Dimensions: 60" x 80"
Started quilt top: November 19th, 2012
Finished quilt top: December 5th, 2012
Quilted: on long arm at Quilt-N-Kaboodle by one of the co-owners, Kim Barrett
Made for: display at Quilt-N-Kaboodle

-V

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday hosted by Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts.
Linking up to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.
Linking up to Confessions Of A Fabric Addict.  
Linking up to Richard & Tanya Quilts

24 comments:

  1. Wow, that's gorgeous!! And I love the Cuzco on the back - big Kate Spain fan here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous, I love hexagons but the colours really make this quilt, absolutely stunning

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me want to start a quilt like this right now!! It looks great in solid fabrics. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fab quilt. I love all those rainbow solids together and the quilting is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wow! Lovely quilt and I like the backing that you created for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - it is awesome!! You should be very proud of it! Peace....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great quilt! Like, really really great! I love it - it's just so yum! Too many exclamation marks now... But seriously, everything is good, and the quilting makes it look like a rainbow honeycomb :) congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh. Hexagons. I've just started cutting out fabric for hexagons. And I'm looking around for ideas of what to do with them. I don't want a Grandmother's Flower Garden. I like what you did with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very nice. What great colors and use of solids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, such kick and pop! Really nice work! Love the hexies and how you incorporated the Cuzco selections.

    kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular! The hexes and the quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, what an amazing quilt!! Definitely a treasure! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is stunning! Back and front! Love it, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly wonderful! I'm a new follower (found you via Richard and Tanya's)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love your quilt, the colors and design are wonderful. I am a new follower of your blog, I am so happy I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad I found your blog and this post in particular! My grandson wants a hex quilt. I had been thinking of hand piecing it (by paper piecing or rubber stamped pattern), but I really need to make it out of large hexs because he's on the autism spectrum and I was concerned that smaller hexs would be too stimulating. He doesn't need more stimulation! After seeing your lovely quilt and going back to all the links about its construction, I've called a brick and mortar shop and asked them to hold one of the rulers for me! You've helped to make my life easier and to bring joy to a little boy! Thank you. I can't wait to start this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SUCH great use of solids! Which yellows did you use from Kona?

    ReplyDelete